Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Recipe - Baked Mac and Cheese

It's been ages since I had mac and cheese of any sort. So with my husband's love of pasta with cheese sauces, I started again on another search. Mac and cheese here I come (ok there I went but still!).

This recipe is slightly altered from the one I found... well actually it's altered a lot and I found this works much better since I already had some experience in the making of cheese sauce from the potatoes earlier... I knew that straight cheddar was not going to work well in this nor was the amount of flour and such, so I already started changing it there.

The original recipe I found and went from was at Gluten Free Mom

Here is what I found worked best for me.

Gluten Free Baked Mac and Cheese
Ingredients
1 pound (16oz) uncooked gluten free elbow macaroni
2 TB butter
1/4 cup gluten free flour
2 cups milk (works well with lactose free milk)
8 oz (250grams) cheddar cheese, 1/4 inch cubed
4 oz emmental (or swiss) cheese, shredded
1/2 -3/4th cup gluten free bread crumbs
1/4th cup grated parmesan

Directions
Preheat oven to 375f or 190c and then prepare macaroni as required and then rinse well to remove extra startch. Butter a large enough baking dish that you can also put in about 3 cups of liquid and then toss in the cooked macaroni.

Mix together the gluten free bread crumbs and parmesan together and set a side.

In medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter. Leave heat on but remove pan for a moment. Whisk in gluten free flour and blend well. Return to heat and slow whist in milk. Bring to a very slow boil. Continue whisking entire time or you risk burning the milk to the bottom of the pan. When mixer starts to thicken, remove from heat entirely (yes turn heat off :P).

Quickly pour in emmental and whisk til melted and then add the cubes of cheddar. Mix the cheddar slightly til it starts to melt but til you can still see small pieces of it through the mixture.

Pour mixer over macaroni that you put in a baking dish earlier and give it a good mix (I sometimes depending on the amount, prefer to put macaroni in a big bowl so I can mix properly and then pour it into the baking dish). At this stage, if you you want to add cut up hotdogs or even pieces of smoke turkey/chicken pieces (lunch meat style) this is the time to do it also.

When ready to place in oven, sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the macaroni mixture and then bake 30mins to 1 hr depending on how done and how crisp you want it.

This works well when a bit of meat is added to it as a full meal but also makes a LOT of mac and cheese. I made 3 meals (I had turkey added to it when I made it) for both my husband and I, with large portions of it even.


No comments: