Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Recipe - Cold Pea Salad

We had quite a warm streak here a few weeks back and I wish I had thought about this before but it's one of those dishes you really don't think of when you think 'gluten free'... specially when it comes to veggies. My mother made her attempt at a fresh cold pea salad and it was rather good but we all agreed it was lacking something. So again with thoughts in my mind, the next day I went shopping for ingredients and off I went to the kitchen to see what I could come up with. Below is what I made and it was wonderful but also made a HUGE bowl again so I would suggest for only 2 people and if you want only 1 meal or so out of it, use half the ingredients mentioned. Sorry but no photos this time... will remember next time!

Cold Pea Salad
Ingredients
1 kilo (2pounds) frozen peas
1 cup cheddar, cubed (1/2 inch works best but if you want more bite, cut them bigger)
2 medium red onions
3 large eggs, boiled
1/2 cup - 1 cup gluten free mayo

Directions
This couldn't be an easier fish except that I suggest make it the night before so that it has the night to let all the yummy flavors (like the onion) to meld.

Take the frozen peas and dump them in a strainer. Select a large bowl for mixing the salad in and then place the strainer in it. Fill the bowl with HOT water (not boiling but the hottest your tap will give you works very well). Let it sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

As mentioned in the ingredients, hard boil your eggs and let cool. Finally chop your onion (this again is per taste.... if you like bigger pieces of onion don't chop it so fine... just do what you like best). When eggs are boiled and cooled, use an egg slicer and first slice them normally but then take them out carefully and turn it around and slice it the other direction as well. This will make the egg break into smaller pieces and save work for you in the end. Remember to cube that cheese too!

With all the ingredients prepared, strain peas, empty water from the bowl you are going to use for mixing and place pea without the strainer this time in the bowl :P. Place the rest of the prepared ingredients in with the peas along with the 1/2cup - 1cup mayo. Again this all depending on taste. I don't like over mayo'd items/salads so I only use 1/2 cup and it works just fine but like my father, he likes a lot of mayo so he'd probally use 1cup.

Cover and refrigerate. I suggest again over night but this mixture would be good with just a couple of hours cooling. Salad is good for about 4 to 6 days.

No comments: