Thursday, July 26, 2007

Symptoms Of Celiac Disease/Wheat Intolerance

Thought since I started in on all of this that I would make a list of symptoms that are associated with this disease. Please do not under go ANY diet without first checking with your doctor for your own good. I did this diet without the doctor because I don't like the tests involved but I also remembered to factor in vitamins, different forms of whole grains that I could eat without a problem and making sure I took in extra nutrition/calories that I wouldn't be eating due to cutting out all bread, cakes, candies, sweets, pastries, pastas and so forth.

I now eat gluten free crackers (found them to taste the best of the stuff I'm offered out here), make my own pie crusts and desserts with gluten free flour and stuff like that to replace what I'm loosing. If you are of a normal weight, please keep track of your calories on doing this!! I'm over weight by a lot and because of that I don't have to worry too much about a bit of loose in calories but if you are normal weight, you could be cutting your calories to much lower then your body needs and that will cause a lot of other problems. Again, I highly suggest talking to a doctor before!

Symptoms of a wheat allergy or wheat intolerance (not exhaustive by any means):

  • Arthritis
  • Bloated stomach
  • Chest pains
  • Depression or mood swings
  • Diarrhoea
  • Eczema
  • Feeling dizzy or faint
  • Joint and muscle aches and pains
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Palpitations
  • Psoriasis
  • Skin rashes
  • Sneezing
  • Suspected irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)/similar effects
  • Swollen throat or tongue
  • Tiredness and lethargy
  • Unexplained cough
  • Unexplained runny nose
  • Watery or itchy eyes
If you do suffer from more then 5 of the items listed below, go see your doctor and tell her about what you have read! Demand you be tested for this disease and don't just let them think it's something else. *1* test (sometimes even just as simple as blood test) can show whether or not you have this and can start treating it right away! If you do have it, you will start to feel better within *1 week* of starting a new gluten free diet as long as it's stuck to 100%

No comments: