Sunday, August 24, 2008

Recipe - Tuna Melts w/ Cheese

This is a very very simple recipe and I even had it today for my lunch. I've made it so many times since I went gluten free that I even didn't think about it being a GF item! Also means atm I also don't have a photo for it... sorry! When I make it again, I'll make sure to grab a photo for you! This time it's my own recipe but yea well it's still something not too original :P

Tune Melts w/ Cheese
Ingredients
1 can tuna in water
2-4 TBS mayo
1 ts dry basil
2-4 slices GLUTEN FREE bread, I use a quite dark one for this as I like the darker breads
1-2 slices of good melting cheese, I use cheddar or a good gouda style cheese

Directions
Drain the can of tuna as well as you can and flake up into a small bowl. Mix with basil and mayo... you don't want this tuna to be too heavy on the mayo as it's going to just turn very soggy in the sandwich when it fries... so be sparing but still make sure the tuna is covered.

In a frying pan big enough for 2 sandwiches at a time (if you are making 2 sandwiches at a time, I make 2 because the bread I use is much smaller then the bread that one that can eat wheat does) drizzle the pan with squeeze margarine or lightly coat with some butter and place 2 pieces of bread down into it.

On top of bread, spoon over as much of the tuna mix as you wish but in general I use 1-2TBS of the mix per sandwich as that is really all that is needed.

Place 1 slice cheese on top of tuna mix and then place the other pieces of bread on top. If using a squeeze or spray style butter/margarine, drizzle or spray the tops of the sandwiches in preparation of turning them.

Fry like you would a grilled cheese sandwich! Medium heat until you hear it sizzling away and then flip but carefully. I usually use a small knife as well when turning so that I can hold the 'top' on while flipping to ensure it doesn't fall apart or move. Then fry until sizzling again... keeping in mind you can fry these to your desire as your just looking for that wonderful golden color you would get from a yummy grilled cheese!

That's it... be careful. If you want to eat them straight out of the frying pan, I suggest a knife and folk as the cheese WILL come out and onto your fingers... this will hurt ;) Otherwise, let sit for 10mins and then enjoy... still warm but then finger food.

Edited Later
As promised here are photos. This time I managed to get 'between' shots of this item. I will try to do this more but sometimes it's not possible depending how 'messy' the recipe is.




No comments: