Thursday, August 21, 2008

Recipe - BBQ Sauce

Hey everyone... I know it's been WAY too long since I did the whole wheat intolerance blog thing but I'm back on track with everything and I'm here today to bring you one of my newest recipes and this time it isn't a dessert one!

Tonight (even as I write this) I have a pan full of chicken thigh/leg pieces (4 big huge ones no less) sitting in the oven just smoothered in BBQ sauce. I know most of the pre-made sauces out there now a days unless specially made for a gluten free diet, have tons of wheat added to them to make them thicker. Well I have been hunting for quite some time and think I have finally found one of the best recipes yet! And it's EVER so simple!

I found the recipe one night while I was talking with my mother about having a BBQ over at her house at least one more time before the bad winter weather set in this year and we started talking about the good ol' days of BBQ sauce slathered chicken on the grill and how upsetting it was that I haven't been able to have it in almost 5yrs now. My hunt this time was short as I went to my favorite GF recipe spot (mentioned below) and behold on the front page no less was a 'how to make bbq chicken'. So naturally this was also for a grill thing but why give it up if you can't grill?? bake or broil it!

Normally the recipe below also comes with a spice rub but I haven't been able to taste the rub yet since the chicken is still baking. Once I have actually tried the chicken I will pass along or edit this post to include or not include the rub. I did put the rub on this time as it is the first time I am trying this out.

Original Recipe from Glutenfreeda

GF BBQ Sauce
(original recipe was altared slightly to include dijon mustard and honey)

Ingredients
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons celery salt
Dash of cayenne pepper
2 cups ketchup
1 heeping Tablespoon honey
1/8 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions - This couldn't be easier if you tried!
Combine the brown sugar and all dry spices in a kettle big enough to hold 4 cups... make sure to mix them very well until you can't tell which spice was which and the brown sugar is mixed through. Then add all wet ingredients.

Heat over a VERY low heat for about 15mins. Then use as you wish! It's great for anything you would put bbq sauce on! My personal favs are chicken and beans! (mmmm beans.... hamburger... bbq sauce... I feel another recipe coming on!).

EDITED - August 24th, 2008
Hello again every one... I just wanted to stop in to let you know that this was a wonderful recipe after I got to finally taste it. I baked the chicken about 2hrs on a low temp so it was just falling off the bone. I am going to edit the recipe next time though. I suggest this recipe to those that love a very spicy style BBQ sauce but for me I think I will reduce the chili powder as it is one of the dominating tastes and I will also exclude the cayenne pepper all together... this should reduce the heat but only the next attempt will tell me for sure!

Here is a photo I manage to get of the final dish and as for the rub, I don't think you really need it. This chicken would come on it's own with just the sauce.

No comments: