Thursday, August 30, 2007

More Shocking Items

Ok this upset me tonight but it also made me really think about all the crap we put in our bodies that we really do not realize.

Today I made a recipe for Egg Fo(Fuu) Young with gravy. Ok not bad in itself... eggs, shrimp, bamboo, soy sprouts, mushrooms and for seasoning some dry sherry, pepper and salt. Nothing in there to be a bother.

Now comes that gravy. It's also made from scratch and that isn't the problem. In all you'd also figure it to be a "safe" food. Chicken stock, some fish/oyster sauce, dry sherry, soy sauce and some corn starch to thicken it all.

Here comes the kicker.... the fish sauce is just that... fish stuff, the chicken stock I make from cubes so that is ok. Then me and my husband the night after making this looked at a bottle of believe it or not, BBQ sauce that I put on his dinner tonight (bare with me, this has a point). I was going to put some on mine but had enough sense to read the label before pouring it all over my chicken... sure enough it has wheat in it. Now that I kind of expected but what does BBQ sauce have to do with the above... well the whole fact is the part of the BBQ sauce that had wheat in it was the SOY SAUCE!

OMG.... so with that I took out the bottle of the soy sauce I used in the gravy and sure enough WHEAT! *GROWL*

Now I had this meal last night and I liked it so much I had some more today. Last night it was a meal so I didn't eat nearly enough to give me a problem by the next day but today it was just taking a bit here and there as my 'food thoughout the day. I didn't eat anything else and sure enough tonight I have my normal 'you ate something with wheat in it' feeling. Heavy tummy, coldish, a bit of pain in the tummy area, a bit of a problem breathing due to the heaviness.

So please.... watch EVERYTHING you put in your food. Even things as simple as soy sauce can cause problems because sure enough it has the 1 thing we're trying to stay away from!

No comments: