Friday, October 3, 2008

Recipe - Corn Bread/Muffins

Hello all you wonderful viewers out there. It's been a week from hell and I sit here nursing myself with a cup of hot soup and sulking because I'm yet sick again *uggg*. So I thought I would come here and type my miseries away!

I made these muffins quite some time ago but also made mention of them on the post before so I thought this was a good place to start in my mess of recipes and photos. I have a lot recently but as usual, I'll get to all of them over time!

This recipe has been almost perfected by me recently. If you read the post before, I tinkered quite a bit with the original recipe which just sucked compared to these... too much liquid for the dry ingredients, 10x's too much rising agent, WAY too much sugar ect. So I hope you enjoy as this is now basically MY recipe for once! I made these in muffin form... I just don't understand the hassle of cutting bread or trying to cover it for later and so forth... muffins are just easier. This is a VERY easy recipe BTW.

Corn Bread/Muffins
Ingredients
1 cup GF flour mix
1 cup corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1/4 cup oil

Directions
Preheat oven to 350f or 180c.

Combine all dry ingredients until cornmeal and sugar is mixed throughout. Add all wet ingredients and WHISK (do not beat with a mixer as you will end up with a hockey puck when it bakes) the mixture until there are no lumps (about 2mins at a good speed). Then let the mixture rest about 10 minutes.

While you wait, prepare your muffin tin. I don't usually use papers because they are hard to get out here (have a few for special occasions!). This recipe will make roughly 12 muffins. Either line your muffin tin or lightly butter them. These muffins will pop up quite easily so liners really are just if you don't want to clean after ;)

After letting mixture set 10mins, give it another really good whisk to make sure every thing that settled is remixed and then pour into muffin tin... about 3/4th full. As said, will yield about 12muffins... less if you want bigger muffins.

Bake in preheated oven 20minutes. Remove from tin right away after remove from oven. Best way so far I have found is by taking a fork and VERY lightly prying a side of the muffin with it while just gently holding the muffin with a oven glove covered hand and transfer to muffin/bread basket or cooling rack. These are best served warm (or even hot right out of the oven).

These go REALLY good with yellow curry rice dishes! Found that out last night :P Honey and butter also go very well on these.

No comments: