Saturday, October 4, 2008

Recipe - Perfect Corn Dogs

Looking for more recipes that had corn meal in them so I didn't waste this big bag of corn meal I now had from making corn muffins/bread, brought me to this most WONDERFUL of recipes and ever so easy to make... corn dogs!

Being originally from the USA, these are one of the things I really missed most and I was ever so pleased with these when they turned out. The biggest part of making these perfect were finding big enough hot dogs that didn't have any gluten. I ended up with these hot dogs that were about 9inch long (if not more) and a good inch in diameter... MUCH too big so I settled for the sake of ease and presentation to cut them into 4th's.

Before the recipe though this time, I will bring some tips.... although easy enough recipe, some simple rules should be followed to make sure you have the best experience possible.

Tip #1 - Use a deep fryer. Don't try to make these in a pan as they DO float and when they do you need enough room to be able to turn them around for proper cooking all around.

Tip #2 - Always use a fresh batch of oil with exception if you have just made a batch of corn dogs. Don't mix this with other foods when frying because they will pick up the taste of what ever else was made in the oil before.

Tip #3 - Fry these all at a high temp. I have a temp of 180c (350f) and I used it on full but stood there with them the entire time to ensure I cooked them evenly and didn't burn them. It also ensures that the batter flash seals on the outside while the inside almost steam cooks.

Tip #4 - Make sure you have a plate/baking sheet ready with paper towels to set freshly fried corn dogs on to get rid of extra oil and a bit of a cooling process.

Tip #5 - Make sure when frying that you do not crowd the dogs. Even though you think you will have all this room when placing them in there, you won't. They will expand and you will need room to turn these as they cook. I suggest for the size I will explain below and for a normal sized deep fryer to not cook them more then 5/6 at a time. I used a mini fryer so I only did 2/3 at a time.

Tip #6 - Let the batter sit for at least 10minutes before starting with the battering and frying of the hot dogs. This will allow the corn meal to absorb the liquid much better and make the frying process nicer.

Tip #7 - If you are using FULL length hot dogs (I cut mine into more 1-2 bite sized pieces) I would suggest finding a jar longer then the hot dog you are going to use so that you can batter them with ease. This way you will get a good coating and not worry if a place doesn't have any any.

Tip #8 - Use thin popsicle sticks if your going to make the full size things because using something to thin will just result in you loosing the hot dog in the thick batter (learned that even from the small ones I made in which I used toothpicks for)

Tip #9 - Make sure your using corn MEAL and not something called corn FLOUR or corn STARCH. You want the really course stuff, not the flour/fine style stuff that is meant more for thickening sauces/soups.

Tip #10 - When preparing the hot dogs before the batter process, I suggest using latex or vinal style powder free gloves (like you find at the doctors office) while doing it. It makes for quick clean up afterwards and if you end up with too much moister on them with all the flour, it's easier to clean them off then your hands each time. I suggest this actually any time someone has to batter, bread or flour anything.

Ok with the tips out of the way.... enjoy your new found love (I hope) of the good ol' American style Corn Dog!

Perfect Corn Dogs
Ingredients
1 cup GF flour mix
2/3 cup corn meal
2 TBS sugar
2 tsp GF baking powder
1/2 ts salt (optional)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 TBS oil (other then frying oil)
1 package (10) GF hot dogs
GF flour mix for coating hot dogs

Directions (I will give you this for the way *I* made these)
Combine GF flour mix, corn meal, sugar and salt (if using) and make sure the corn meal is well combined throughout. Add oil, eggs and milk starting at 3/4th cup and add 1 TBS at a time if more is needed... I ended up using a bit more the longer the batter sat. Simply whisk it together until there are no lumps and let sit while preparing hot dogs for battering.

Cut hot dogs about 3inches long. Remember, the ones I used were massive so I had a LOT more then the normal American style hot dog will make. Pierce each hot dog end with popsicle stick or with toothpick if using my method.

Set up your fryer and get it heating so it's nice and hot while you take the next step. Druge hot dogs in gf flour mix but make sure you pull off extra flour... you just want these dusted so that when you go to batter them that the batter will stick to them propely. I suggest laying them all out on foil after your done with the druging... it makes it easier work for you while frying.

When fryer is at temp, take the amount of hot dog pieces on a stick (sorry had to get some comedy stuff in there) and place them stick side up into the batter bowl. Turn and twist hot dog stick until well coated and make sure you get the top part where the stick is as well!

Transfer straight from bowl to the deep fryer. If high enough, the corn dog will be sealed on the outside and actually steam itself until cooked on in the inside. That wonderful 'corn dog' shape will come to it's own very quicky when you start to fry. Make sure you stick near by. You want a light golden brown color but from my experience you will need to turn them and might even have to hold them in place while they fry because they like to float badly. I suggest using heat resistant tongs when doing this as it will give you the mobility that you to keep these cooking correctly.

When you have a nice light to dark golden brown color all around, remove from fryer to prepared paper toweled plate or baking sheet. Let cool slightly and enjoy! I always liked to mix plain ol' yellow mustard with ketup and use it as dipping sauce but I bet the BBQ sauce recipe would go wonderfully with these as well!

Another idea, if you can find them is to use GF cheese hot dogs instead of normal ones.

No comments: