Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Baking Powder - NOT Gluten Free!!

Yet another shocking item I have come across. Here I thought I was doing ok with keeping the gluten out of my diet but then my mother saw something I hadn't.... that the baking powder I have been using for the past year or 2, has non-other... wheat in it!

Good news though! There ARE alternatives as well for this ever so needed baking ingredient! For me out here in Belgium I have found an already made version of gluten free baking powder called 'Wijnsteen Bakpoeder' which is the Dutch/Flemish name for it. I'm not sure exactly what it is but when I read the 'French' words for it, the all ever present 'cream of tartar' is mentioned.

So my advise would be one of the 2 following...
1) Simply search on google or yahoo search for 'gluten free baking powder'
- You will come up with a number of results but the first page has almost nothing but how to make your OWN gluten free baking powder with a mix of arrow root, cream of tarter and other naturally gluten free ingredients

2) Visit your local health food/bio shop and ask them if they have any, if can order you some already mixed up or if they can even make you some. If they can't, this is the store that you should be able to find such ingredients like the arror root.

Make sure that when you are making your own recipes, check EVERY ingredient that you put into it CAREFULLY. You never know where hidden gluten is laying in wait. And remember, it's not just about 'limiting' your gluten intake, it's about illuminating it all together because unlike some 'allergies', this is not going to just cause a some symptoms over the course of up to 72hrs but it is doing unseen damnage to your insides!

No comments: