Saturday, March 21, 2009

Recipe - Taco Seasoning

I have for a long time stopped buying pre-made 'taco seasoning', even before I started eating gluten free. Why you might ask, simple, the sodium content wasn't worth it! There is so much salt in the pre-made 'powders' you get in any chain of supermarkets that you could choke a horse with it.

Then later on one day on thinking 'it's been a long time since I had any tacos' I came to look at the label out of sure wonder if it would or would not contain wheat... guess what... it does! The brand I could get around here has wheat. I mean comeon, how damn hard or expensive is it to sell a taco seasoning mix that doesn't have fillers or salt?!

Not too long ago (sometime since last summer I figure) I had found and made my own variation of taco seasoning. The recipe called for plain black pepper as well as salt but frankly you'd never miss not adding it. I haven't since the day I made it and even now, I can't tell it's in there or not.

The recipe below makes enough for 1 pound of ground meat but if you're any thing like me, I double the recipe so I have seasoning pre-pared and ready to go for next time... I mean what's the difference if the seasonings are sitting on your self in their own bottles or if they are in 1 bottle melding their flavors for next time? :)

Ingredients
1 TBS chili powder (this is the AMERICAN style chili powder! If using stronger stuff, reduce the amount you use!)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 ts cumin
salt/pepper to season (VERY optional)

Directions
This is a no brainger, place all ingredients into a small bowl and combine well. Sprinkle over ground meat as it's cooking and add 1/4 cup water to moisten. Goes well and in a number of dishes, this is just a basic taco seasoning mix.

No comments: