Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Recipe - Egg, Bacon & Potato 'Tortilla'

Hello all... I'm back at least for now with a new recipe. I know it's been a LONG while since I was here but I'm still not back to 100% with every thing. In fact I'm working with a 2 burner 'movable' stove top but hey at least I have my new and better yet WORKING oven! YEA! :D Hopefully within the next 2weeks I'll have a brand new stove top as well that won't have to be moved LOL

Today's recipe was inspired by something we have out here called an 'egg tortilla'. Now being American as I am, I thought 'tortilla' and expected this to have some kind of white flat bread style thing but out here it isn't. It's this egg and potato thick style pancake type thing. All egg, potatoes and the one I usually go for is with onion as well but no crusts and better off no flour at all in it.

What I didn't like with this is that is had no seasonings at all except perhaps some salt (don't remember off hand... it's been too long since I bought one), that is had LOTS of excess fat in it that isn't needed at all and then the price tag on it. It's flipping egg, potatoes and onion and they wanted up to 4euro a piece for something that barely feeds 1 person.

So with no internet this morning, some need to be used eggs, a bag of pre-blanched potato cubes... I figured why not mess around in the kitchen for some lunch.

I have those wonderful 'removable handle' style Tafal frying pans so I was able to do this all in one pan but for those of you that don't, a round 8inch cake pan would work best for this. You do need a special mixer attachment for this recipe. I have a stick blender and this works best for it but if you really want, just pre-mash about 1/2 the potato cubes asked for below with a fork. The directions below are for using my Tafal pan.

Ingredients
4 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 small onion, diced
1 small package pre-blanched potato cubes (about 3cups worth)
1/2 pound bacon cubes (can also fry bacon strips and pull apart into pieces)
1 cup cheese (cheddar or mozzarella work best but I think colby or even colby-jack would work too... what ever cheese you like to go with eggs basically but make sure it's shredded style!)
Seasoning (this is up to personal taste... remember there is bacon flavor going on though)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350f or 180c to start off with. In your small Tafal frying pan (mine was the 18cm one) fry the bacon pieces until cooked to your wish, if there is oil left over, drain it.

While bacon cooks, in a small beaker style container (stick blenders usually come with a container to use with them... well at least mine did) combine the eggs, 1/2 the potato cubes, milk and seasonings. Mix them until fairly well blended and just before your finished add 2TBS more of the potatoes but just give it a VERY quick wiz... you're looking for something with a bit of chunks in the end but the first hit of potatoes is to thicken the eggs. Add 1/2 cheese at end but use a fork to mix it through, not the stick blender!

In frying pan with bacon, add the onion and left over potato cubes. Give a quick toss and then add egg/potato mixter. Give another nice mix to make sure every thing is moved around and every place has a bit of every thing.

Place in pre-heated oven for 25mins. After 25mins, take the egg 'tortilla' out and sprinkle with remaining cheese, return to oven and turn tempature up to 400f or 200c and cook for an additional 15mins or until the top if lightly browned.

This recipe can be made almost any way and with any thing you want. Just remember to keep reading your lables! If you're adding an ingredients even such as potato cubes, they might have hidden flours in it.... always lable read with this kind of eating plan!

I like to add a mix of mild salsa and sour cream to it... mmmm works nicely but this time I left it plain... My photos don't show it with cheese throughout because I simply forgot to and instead placed it all on the top!


No comments: