Saturday, March 21, 2009

Recipe - Savory Style Crepes

The last couple of days, especially with summer coming around the corner, I have been thinking more and more on how can I make gluten free tortilla shells or corn tortillas. I haven't gotten a really good out come yet but I have gotten something good enough to make a recipe I've had twice in the last 24hrs :P

What I end up with is more of a savory version of gluten free crepes. So they are not nearly firm enough for making tacos out of but for a plate style Casadias, this works wonderfully. I think they would make some great sandwiches in the summer too. Only suggest is do NOT make these and 'store' them. If you are going to make these, make them and use them the same day. They will get either really soggy in the fridge or really hard left on the counter.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups GF flour mix
1 cup milk (room temp or a bit warmer)
2 tsp GF baking powder
2 TBS oil
dash of salt

Directions
Combine all ingredients and whisk by hand. When all lumps are whisked out, let it rest for 10mins like I suggest for any style batter. This will tell you if you need to add any more milk or flour respectively.

While letting rest, pre-heat a frying pan or griddle to a high heat. For easier use, pour batter into a measuring cup or other pooring style container. Then on hot griddle, pour about a 5inch round circle of batter and then rotate pan to spread the batter out as flat as you can. Fry until lighly browned and top is semi dry. Flip and continue until other side is lightly browned.

Repeat the above step until all batter is used. Recipe does not keep well over night or longer... I again suggest to make these the same day/time you plan to use them.

No comments: