Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Recipe - Breaded & Fried Chicken Strips

I use to LOVE eating KFC chicken strips when I lived in the states. Even if I were to visit there again any time in my life time, I most likely can never have these again BUT there is light at the end of the tunnel and I personally think this recipe is much better then the commercially made stuff from KFC anyhow!

This recipe is from my 'stock' of photos that I took while cooking/baking ect but I never had time or the want to post them. I figured since I am taking today as 'me' day, I'd enjoy spending some time here at my blog that is has been very badly neglected! Although this recipe says 'breaded' it's not actually done in bread but in gluten free flour mix.

Ingredients
2 pounds chicken breasts (cut length wise into 'stripess', either your local butcher can do this for you or you should be able to find them cut like this in your local super market as well)
2 cups gluten free flour mix
2 eggs, lightly beaten with 2TBS water
1 TBS salt
1 TBS pepper
3 cups oil (for semi deep frying effect)

Directions
I like to make these in a semi deep frying pan (I use my favorite Tafel frying pans in fact for the heat resistant factor). Add the 3 cups of oil to the frying pan and bring it up to a high heat while preparing the chicken strips themselves.

While oil is heating. Place beaten eggs with water in a shallow bowl, mix the pepper, salt and GF flour mix together and make sure the seasonings are throughly mixed through the GF flour mix. The seasonings may seem to be a lot but they aren't when you start mixing them through the GF flour and you do end up almost always throwing some of the finished GF flour mixture out. I usually use some foil for placing the GF flour mixture on but I turn the sides up to try and prevent making a mess with it... if you don't mind the dishes though, also place the flour mixture into a shallow bowl.

Once oil is hot, start out by placing one chicken strip in flour mixture, coat well and shake off excess, you just want to dust them at this point. Then dip flour dusted chicken strip into the egg mixture and coat well. Then roll flour dusted and egg dipped chicken strip into flour mixture again and make sure the strip is very well coated this time. You can repeat the process of egg dipping and the 2nd flour coating for more 'breading' but even just the once works nicely. Just adjust you ingredients accordingly.

Only prepare chicken strips as many as you will place in the frying pan at once. You don't want the chicken strips sitting waiting to be placed in the oil because the flour will become more of a pancake mix instead of a crisp light breading. As you finish the last flour coating above, place directly into the oil to start browning. Work quickly to make enough strips to fill your oil filled frying pan.

Cook/fry the strips until golden brown (they will turn golden if you are using a deep frying pan for this because they will be touching the bottom), if your chicken strips sit above the oil, you will have to turn them once or twice to cook the other side. Again until golden brown. Once cooked through, transfer strips to a paper towel covered plate to drain. Repeat coating chicken strips and cooking process until all chicken strips are cooked.

This recipe goes well with the BBQ sauce recipe mentioned earlier in my blog. It also goes well with ranch dressing, honey mustard dressing and even chili sauce if you like it hot :D

No comments: